ONLY half the victims of the Glenelg North floods today had received government
compensation more than three months after the incident, the Opposition has
Liberal Leader Rob Kerin said more than 70 families were still trying to cope
with financial and emotional stress as a result of the Government's "tardiness".
It is understood 141 families had applied for the Government's "one-off" compensation
payment, but only 67 claims had been processed.
On June 27, heavy rain and faulty Patawalonga gates caused the river to burst
its banks, flooding 200 homes.
Emergency Services Minister Patrick Conlon said the need to obtain quotes
from contractors for structural damage and the complexity of some claims had
caused assessment delays.
"When residents accept an assessment it is paid immediately by the Government," he
Mr Conlon met with residents last week to discuss how the Government might
provide other assistance but was not prepared to elaborate yesterday.
"I'm sure the approach we're taking is allowing damages to be paid years
earlier than would have been the case if we hadn't intervened," he said.
Mr Conlon said the latest "guestimate" of the total damage bill
was $1.7 million, well down on the $20 million figure flagged by some soon
after the flooding.
News sources: Adelaide Advertiser